Wednesday, November 23, 2016

So Music Theory isn't as boring as it sounds?

As great as Piano Maestro is, there comes a point where you'll realize that it's really designed to be used with a teacher.

I've encountered several lessons now where I can finish with a 100% grade all of a lesson's exercises, yet I have absolutely no clue what exactly it was that I was supposed to learn.

One example is the chapter on Syncopation. The exercises were easy, but I had to read lots of other tutorials before having a slight idea what syncopation is. *Slight idea* only, at that time. Because most of the material available online just confused me even more.

One good thing that came out of this though, is I got interested in reading about music theory. Presently reading about it in three Kindle books, one of those books being a For Dummies title.

And the way Music Theory for Dummies (by Michael Pilhofer) discussed syncopation is basic enough, that I think I now understand what it is.

The greatest surprise, is I'm realizing learning music theory is actually kind of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment